On October 26th 2015,
Sitni Sati has released FumeFX
4.0 for Autodesk's 3ds max platform.
FumeFX 4.0 offers many new features that help
simulations to run faster and with more detail.
The new FumeFX 4.0 QCG
solver is up to twice as fast as the CG solver
found in FumeFX 3.0. Along with other simulation
optimizations, FumeFX 4.0 can complete simulation faster
than any previous version of FumeFX.
New vorticity type
has additional control over vortices which helps user to
fine tune the final result. The highly optimized
Spline Follow force field allows various special
effects that were impossible before.
radiation shader and new
burning model that includes Oxygen are powerful
tools for achieving realistic fire and explosion
at render-time will bring out maximum possible detail
from your existing caches.
Features such as faster solver, advanced vorticity, new
burning model, smoke and fire sharpening at render time,
fields sharpening at simulation time, improved caches
handling and many other will allow users to create more
detailed simulations in less time.
Effectors are the most valuable and the most
powerful feature. With just a few mouse clicks, artists
can tweak the laws of physics or alter any simulated
field based on built-in rules. For example, Effectors
can drive setups where vorticity is controlled by
velocity, gravity is controlled by smoke color and fire
is created in voxels where velocity is above a
user-defined threshold. All of this can be further
refined by powerful test conditions or even confined to
the Effector's gizmo.
RenderWarps are another great tool that will find
application on many VFX shots. This feature allows users
to apply space warps such as FFD, Bend, Taper and Noise
to precomputed FumeFX caches. As RenderWarps are a
post-process, re-simulation is not needed.
N-Sim enables artists to connect many grids together
and execute their simulations simultaneously as one big
simulation. This approach can be invaluable for
increasing the level of detail in scene setups such as a
GPU accelerated Preview Window is another
time-saver, providing instant feedback for adjusting
rendering parameters. Self-shadows are computed
extremely fast and the user can orbit the camera around
FumeFX with self-shadows in real-time(1). FumeFX also
supports preview with geometry included in simulation.
FumeFX has been production proven in titles such as
Hugo, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance,Thor, Priest,
2012, Skyline, Suckerpunch, Spiderman 3, X-Men Origins:
Wolverine, Superman Returns, Iron Man, The Host
(Gwoemul) and various games cinematics such as Warhammer
Online, Classic Transformers, Dante's Inferno and
- Production proven results demonstrate this
technology's ability to achieve realistic smoke and fire
effects for cutting-edge industry applications.
- FumeFX supplements the user's artistic vision with the
power of real-world physics for the ultimate in both
style and realism.
- GPU accelerated Preview Windows with self-shadows and
- A multitude of parameters and FumeFX helpers give
users maximum control of the fluid's behavior and
- Easy to use, basic effects can be created with just a
- Options include the use of powerful AFC and Gradient
controls, which are unified through all Sitni Sati
- Plug-in design incorporates extensive support for
Particle Flow and Thinking Particles.
- Dynamic simulations allow for bi-directional influence
between FumeFX and particle systems.
- Advanced scripting via MAXScript is possible with
almost every aspect of FumeFX, including access to all
- FumeFX is capable of dynamic interaction with other
- New and faster solver since FumeFX 4.0.
- Advanced vorticity type.
- Simulation of nested grids in one go (N-Sim).
- Powerfull Effectors that can control almost every
parameter on a per-voxel basis.
- Application of various Space Warp deformers on caches.
- Particle Source controllers provide support for
ParticleFlow float and vector channel access. It is also
possible to pick any Particle Flow event directly.
- Field3D and OpenVDB 3.0 I/O support.
- FumeFX can use Variable Density solver that uses smoke
density and temperature as variables.
- Start simulations from scratch or by using other
simulation results as a starting point.
- Stop, pause and continue simulations at any point.
- E-mail notifications.
- Simulation is multithreaded - users can select how
many CPU's to dedicate to their simulation.
- Users can watch the simulation progress in the
interactive GPU accelerated Preview Window.
- Interactive simulation allows user to change
almost every parameter during the simulation and see
it's influence on the simulation result.
- Draft simulations can be created in mere minutes for
- Multiple advection schemes that can minimize numerical
- User has control of which data is written to output
files for rendering and further processing.
- Wavelet Turbulence algorithm quickly adds extra detail
to low resolution simulation caches while preserving the
existing overall motion.
- Retimer is a very efficient and fast method to slow
down or speed up caches without the need to re-run
- Post Processing module can significantly reduce cache
size by optimizing grid size around smoke/fire. It also
allows users to decide which channels will be excluded
from the final caches.
- mental ray for 3ds Max renderer support - available
for both Windows and Linux.
- The GPU accelerated Preview Window gives users almost
instant feedback on render settings.
- Fast self-shadowing is produced through an
Illumination Map which is integrated inside of the
- A highly efficient Multiple Scattering model enhances
light dispersion throughout fluid and between multiple
- Smoke and Fire sharpening.
- Built in motion blur.
- Fluid Mapping integrates procedural map details with
- The dynamic FusionWorks atmospheric renderer provides:
- Render Elements: Fire, Smoke, Velocity
- Proper blending with AfterBurn and ScatterVL Pro.
- Balanced mixing of FumeFX and compatible atmospherics
with 3ds Max Fog
- Ability to apply Image Motion Blur
- Option to affect Effect Channel
- Z depth
(1) - On GeForce GTX 460 and similar cards